Announcements and Important Events
Dear Parents, Guardians and Student-Athletes, July 2, 2020
We hope that you, your friends and family are safe and healthy as we continue to navigate this uncertain period. We know the COVID-19 outbreak has disrupted many aspects of our lives, including extra-curricular activities, like athletics. We recognize that many student-athletes are missing the positive aspects of high school sports like exercise, team-building, friendships, competition and connections to coaches.
As we continue to work through guidance from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), Oregon Health Authority (OHA), Oregon Department of Education (ODE), the Governor, and the Oregon School Activities Association (OSAA), we anticipate finalizing a plan to have team summer conditioning workouts. While we value the benefits of extra-curricular activities, we can only bring student-athletes together when we have a plan in place that includes measures and protocols that minimize the risk of exposure to COVID-19. These measures and protocols include, but are not limited to:
- Minimizing physical closeness and contact between players, and players and coaches
- Maintaining a thorough disinfection schedule for equipment and rooms
- Using spaces that allow for appropriate ventilation and physical distancing of 6 ft.
- Promoting healthy hygiene practices that include daily basic health screening and frequent handwashing
- Limiting workouts to include identified and approved coaches and students, while prohibiting visitors or volunteers to reduce the impact on contact tracing
- Monitoring health and wellness of student-athletes, coaches, and family members for signs and symptoms of illness or COVID-19
- Educating and training all coaches, students, and families on expectations and protocols for minimizing risk
At this time, we do not have a plan in place that meets the state-level guidance we have received, but we are committed to completing the plan as soon as possible. We understand if you feel frustrated with this process and the time it has taken to develop a plan. We are, however, responsible for sifting through all of the changing guidance and creating a comprehensive plan that minimizes the risk of COVID-19 exposure.
We encourage you to reach out to your coaches if you have questions. Coaches will continue to support student-athletes with virtual check-ins, individualized workout plans, and updates related to summer conditioning plans.
Thank you for your patience and grace as we navigate these uncertain times.
Dan Hedberg Thomas Armstrong
Principal Athletic Director